Sunday, September 9, 2007

DC Has Always Hated Its Fans

As much as we looove to pick on DC's current editorial staff for being non-responsive to the needs and desires of its fans, it all fairness I have to point out:

It's always been that way.

Presenting a letter from Jimmy Olsen #121, July 1969. This letter has not been edited by me in any way.

And your mother dresses you funny!!
Wow. The editor just called the guy "dumb." Not just dumb, but emphasized dumb. In a public forum, he dissed a faithful reader.

How dare Alan Williams of Albany, NY write in questioning the accuracy of anything written in Jimmy Olsen?

Who knew Mike Carlin was editing letter columns back then...? DC, holding fans in contempt for 70 years and counting!

***

On a more personal note, this is my 50th post. Woo hoo! Props to myself for (unexpectedly) having the discipline to actually do this every day. And extra bonus props to those who've been reading, and commenting. I'll keep trying to get better. Now if only DC and marvel would make the same promise...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The fan letters are one of my fave things about Superman & Co. comics. *laugh* It's amazing how patronizing and defensive the replies can be! The mind, it boggles.

Hi, btw, great blog you've got here! I especially love all the Superman related posts. *thumbs up*

snell said...

Thanks. Although, to be fair, I'm usually not so Superman-centric around here...just worked out that way lately...