Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Digital Comic Update--Star Trek

Well, we've had a number of discussions here about how DC hates us, and how Marvel hates us but still wants our money so at least they're giving us something, on the issue of digital comics.

But they're not the only players in town. Coming September 1st from our good buddies at GIT Corp:

Our 500 issue mission...Yup, every Star Trek comic EVER, from 1967-2002. From assorted publishers, including Gold Key, Marvel, DC, Wildstorm, and Malibu. TOS, TNG, DS9, and Voyager. Annuals, mini-series, one-shots. Doesn't include the stuff published under the current IDW license, but man o man...And unlike one of the more annoying aspects of their Marvel sets (no issues from crossovers that happened in "other" titles, so you get incomplete stories), this time they've got it all.

Yeah, there's some real crap in there--you ever read any of those Gold Key Star Treks??--but 500 issues of Star Trek on one DVD-Rom?? You can't beat that with a stick. So order it from Amazon, or bug your comic shop to get it. And GIT Corp...keep on keeping on.

Memo to DC: Are you at all embarrassed that other people are putting out digital versions of comics that you published, while you're giving us nada? Dudes...wake up!!

Confidential memo to Siskoid: This is what you do when you're done with the episodes...review one Star Trek comic per day...it's perfect!!

5 comments:

Siskoid said...

That's certainly ONE option!

De said...

My pre-order was made the instant I saw this thing yesterday at the Trekmovie site.

If I can find my copy of the newspaper strips (which are sadly not included in the DVD), I may review those after I finish up with G.I. Joe. So expect that sometime in 2035.

googum said...

I've got a pretty good pile of those...but not all. Tempting. Some of Marvel's second try at Trek comics were pretty good.

David C said...

Wow, how about that? I think I own all the DC issues, but having all the other stuff too (hey, does it include the infamously awful X-Men crossovers?) makes it already worth 50 bucks. I've always been curious to see just *how* bad the Gold Key Star Trek was, but not quite curious enough to buy the relatively pricey recent reprint books.

(Not to mention I could probably sell off the originals....)

Unknown said...

Are any of these in the photo-novel format?

Wow, 500 issues. I didn't realize there had been so many, since Star Trek series always seem to restart so frequently.