Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Legion Lost

A few thoughts on the upcoming cancellation of The Legion of Super-Heroes, cause I loves me some Legion.

Adios, guys...First, poor Jim Shooter. Now, I was no huge fan of his current run. It was slow, repetitive, and occasionally turgid. And who starts off their run with a 16-issue mega arc?

But I still think DC treated him badly. After months of rumors that he was being canned from Legion, and months of speculation that Legion of 3 Worlds meant that Geoff Johns' version of the Legion was taking over, DC made only the most terse and non-committal of public denials. And now the other shoe drops--he's not being replaced, Legion is being canceled. Before Shooter's storyline is fully finished. Just coincidentally immediately after LO3W finishes.

Yeah, but this is Jim Shooter, right? Surely DC would have him do something else, right? Nope.

"I might be doing some stuff for Dark Horse, and I've been talking to the Valiant Entertainment people, who want me to do some things," Shooter said. "So I have no shortage of stuff to do. It's just that I was really enjoying this. I was hoping it would press on."
So. After all the fanfare about hiring him, it's buh-bye. Go peddle your wares elsewhere. DC used Shooter as stunt casting, and then tossed him aside. Whether it's because the sales were too low, or because Geoff Johns cleared his throat, Shooter deserved better.

Secondly, we should note that the while Legion has been on "hiatus" before, the was usually an intervening mini-series, such as Legion Lost or Legion Worlds. DC may already have something planned, and is just playing this pretty close to the vest until they're ready to announce. But if they don't, this "hiatus" will mean that, for the first time in almost half a century, DC won't be publishing any Legion of Super-Heroes. Happy 50th, Legion!!

Finally, Johns has said in about a dozen interviews that LO3W would define the Legion, would be "building the characters back up." Of course, one couldn't help but notice that only his version of the Legion actually appeared in LO3W #1 (which should have been titled Legion Of One World Sits Around And Talks All Issue While We Toss The Fans Of The Other Legions A Perez Spread Of The Other Legions As A Bone And Hope They're Satisfied). And now that there will be no stories of the other Legions being published...well, you've seen what's happened to Kyle Rayner and Wally West...do the math.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to know what Johns has on Didio that he's allowed to take control of the DCU any time he feels left out.

Richard said...

What you said. I liked the Shooter run way more than you apparently did...but even there I'd agree the 16 issue mega-arc was a really strange choice. And I wholeheartedly agree with everything else you said.

TS said...

Yep...stunt casting. Hadn't thought of it that way until now, but you're right, and it doesn't do anything to endear the editorship to me. I've enjoyed Shooter's return quite a bit, and whatever the grand plan may be, shame on DC for folding the title up this way. N-F-C -- No Friggin' Class.