Monday, June 15, 2009

Manic Monday Bonus--Big Feet, Big...?

We've all heard the urban legend (warning: probably NSFW in the text, but no bad pictures). Apparently, so had shoe manufacturers advertising in comic books:

And just to make sure we fully understand the innuendo:

So much for "size doesn't matter."

I find this interesting...was a size 10 really considered "big" in 1956? I wear a 10 or 11 myself, depending upon style and width, and I never considered myself as having big feet. Do people have bigger feet, now, or am I just uninformed...?

You know what else I love? Comic ads that command you in a series of single-word orders:

WRITE! NOW! DAMMIT!

Ad from Quality's Blackhawk #103 (1956)

1 comment:

Invid said...

(cough) I wear a size thirteen.

Years ago, I was at a bowling alley in a youth group with a 7' guy (well, he wasn't quite a seven footer yet), and he needed something like 18s. So, yeah, a 16 is big, but not that big.