Monday, March 28, 2011

Manic Monday--A Cap Of A Different Color

A ways back, I discussed my dislike of Marvel's current style of coloring in many of their books. Specifically, I said:

This style of coloring requires that the color palette in every scene be as washed out as the latest film from a big-name director who can no longer figure out how to make symbolic points except by slapping filters over the lens, and then the film is shown in a cineplex with a cheap-ass manager who thinks that letting the projector bulbs go dim is somehow saving energy, so watching the movie is like trying to experience the world through 4 sets of polarized sunglasses simultaneously.


So, not to beat the dead horse again, but here's damning exhibit A: The cover of Captain America Comics #1 (1941), as it originally appeared...the image was taken from the version at Marvel Digital Comics, unretouched by me in any way:

Then we have the same cover from Marvel's 70th anniversary reprint of the same issue, as recolored by Kai Spannuth:

Same cover, different colors (and type, and UPC box, and...). (Click to embiggen each for closer examination if you wish)

See the masthead, which in the original was the red, white & blue of the American flag? Now it's scarlet, white and gun-metal gray. Clearly an improvement, right? And Cap punching Hitler in the face is much, much better in murky, muted tones than in the old four color glory. Yup, that really jumps off the shelf at you...if you can actually see it.

It's not just the cover...the issue reprints many of the stories from the original CAC #1, and they are all recolored, by various hands/computers, into dour, lifeless palettes.

Your mileage may vary, of course, but I think I've made it pretty clear which I prefer. Why Marvel is on the perpetual trip of trying to make everything dampened and "realistic" is beyond me.

And somehow, if Simon and Kirby could see this version, I'm pretty sure they'd say, "Damn! You need a flashlight to read this!! I thought this was a funny book!!"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome post. I agree with you 100%. In a similar vein, my daughter doesn't understand why a HBO-scrub kinda looking dude doesn't look like the majestic version of Thor that I grew up with.

Mark Engblom said...

I don't like the muted colors, either....but in this case, I'm guessing they were going for a more "pulpy" feel, similar to the painted pulp magazine covers of the 1930's.

notintheface said...

What Engblom said.

Anonymous said...

@Engblom & notintheface:

why?

where's the validity in that?

notintheface said...

@ Mr. Phil:

Mark was just trying to explain Marvel's thought process: they were apparently trying to do an "homage" to the 30's pulps.

However, neither I nor Mark was saying it was a GOOD decision. Mark himself said he didn't like the muted version. Nor do I. I agree with everything Brian wrote above.