Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Oh. My. God.

From today's reveal of the New New New New New Teen Titans:

Tim Drake is forced to step out from behind his keyboard when an international organization seeks to capture or kill super-powered teenagers. As Red Robin, he must team up with the mysterious and belligerent powerhouse thief known as Wonder Girl and a hyperactive speedster calling himself Kid Flash in TEEN TITANS #1, by Scott Lobdell and artists Brett Booth and Norm Rapmund.

I have a few comments:

**AHHHHHHHHH MY EYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sweet lordy but that's the most set hideous costume design EVER. Dear Jim Lee--please stop. The 1990s are over.

**To the weaselly claims of "not a reboot"--right. Either these are all new characters using the old names, or it's a reboot. "Tim Drake has to step out from behind a keyboard" sure sounds like he wasn't Red Robin before, and there's a conspicuous lack of the Robin symbol on his costume. And a Tim Drake who doesn't know Dominatrix Wonder Girl, W.I.L.D.Cats Kid Flash, or Emo Superboy, and wasn't Robin before...look, there's no way you can do that without a full reboot, or ridiculous selective amnesia.

Sure, it could all be explained with a few sentences; maybe they're all new, and they just used odd phrasing to describe Tim. Yup, sure.

**So, Warner...you spends millions and millions on your lawsuit to maintain ownership of Superboy...and this is what you do with him??

Seriously...at this point I'd rather have Superboy-Prime back.

**Just for the record, that had better not be Wally as Kid Flash...that is a warning, DC.

**This convinces me more than ever that DC is going to do a pretty thorough reboot on Superman himself, and I'd put money on the fact that Grant Morrison is finally going to get to adopt some version of his Superman 2000 proposal. The loss of the red trunks, separating Superman and Lois...these have long been proposals of Morrison, and he's supposedly writing Action. And what the heck...maybe DC can make the "new" Superman different enough to salvage something after 2013...

7 comments:

Lazarus Lupin said...

I think we can all agree now that DC has lost its collective mind. The only suspense now will be in taking bets for how many months before the inevitable "correction" event to try to fix the glaring problems before us.

Lazarus Lupin
http://strangespanner.blogspot.com/
art and review

Matt said...

Took the words right outta my mouth... or, you know, fingers.

I don't even read any of these DC books and I'm upset at those changes.

Tim Knight said...

I've loved the Teen Titans since I found my first Wolfman/Perez issue back when I was a teenager and have followed them faithfully ever since.

That ends with this... this whatever it is... that's not the Titans I have grown up with.

In fact, I don't know what it is, but it makes my decision to drop the title from my monthly pull-list very easy.

Mark Engblom said...

WOW. Every day DC releases more information about the Extreme Makeover, I'm more convinced this will be as good a jumping off point as I'm likely to get. I have zero interest in so much of what they're pimping...in fact, now that I think about it, I'm not interested in ANY of what they've been pimping. It all leaves me completely cold.

It warms my heart to see the near universal loathing that's greeted the Teen Titans announcement, and you have to wonder if there are some nervous staff meetings taking place in the bi-coastal DC lairs. Whatever the case, as Lazarus said, DC has lost its collective mind. In an obvious short-term bid to capture market share, they've alienated the vast majority of their regular customers and retailers in one fell swoop. This may go down as one of the worst decisions the comic biz has ever seen (and THAT'S saying something).

notintheface said...

Maybe DC thinks lower sales figures are a GOOD thing, like with golf scores?

Anonymous said...

(based only on the picture provided and my old and faltering memory) Robin's new design looks like one of those fan created costumes that DC published in one of the Batman '100 Page Super Spectaculars' or '100 Pages for only 60 cents' editions back in the 70's.

Anonymous said...

I've followed the team since it was Young Justice all the way till now. And honestly, I'm looking forward to this. I like the new Red Robin look, btw the Robin symbol is on his chest. Kinda iffy about the Wonder Girl look, not really into the hood. I like that they made Bart's costume more modern then the old Wally Kid Flash. Super Boy looks more like a biker then emo, you can tell by the lack of eyeliner.

So all in all I'm going to get this number one to see how it goes. Instead of instantly hating it because its a change. Grow up people, you don't have to fear change.