Thursday, May 19, 2016

The Secret Connection Between Spider-Woman, Plastic Man And Fangpuss!!

This ad appeared in Incredible Hulk Annual #8 (1979):

By then, I was pretty much done with the whole Saturday morning cartoon thing--places to go, people to see.

So allow me some ill-informed and decades-late comments.

It's not enough that they're Super Friends. Now they're "World's Greatest Super Friends"! Take that, Swedish Super Friends!

Plus, I have to admire that even though they showed his picture, Aquaman can't even get listed in the copy. Even in 1979, they knew...

I had absolutely no idea whatsoever that there had been a Spider-Woman cartoon. Not one single clue. How is that possible?

Also worth noting, that in the pre-merger mania and pre-discovery of corporate synergy era, ABC had no problem running both DC and Marvel shows. You wouldn't see that today, by golly.

This same comic had an ad for CBS' Saturday morning line-up, which featured Mighty Mouse, Bugs Bunny, Popeye, Tarzan and Batman. What a wild, wacky world...

Wait...comedy AND adventure? Have you gone mad, ABC?

Much as with Spider-Woman, I had no clue that there had been a Plastic Man cartoon on Saturday mornings. Seriously, what else did I miss?

Glory days.

And then there's this:

What. The. Hell.

And this:

Whatever happened to Fangpuss?!?

And sadly:

I'm sorry. Scrappy Doo is the worst thing ever. I'd rather watch BvS again than watch anything with Scrappy Doo in it.

Seriously, I hate Scrappy Doo...

1 comment:

Brian Foss said...

as a kid i loved the spiderwoman cartoon, though it was very different from the comics.
https://youtu.be/Xao_sF3aAo0

I liked the 1st season of Plastic Man too, but in the 2nd season they brought in Baby Plas - it was his Scrappy Doo - and the shows quality never bounced back (hey ho!)