Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Detente With The Planet Of The Apes!

If there's one genre trope that I truly dislike, it's the notion that once apes attain sentience, it's automatically war. (Ditto for artificial intelligence--Skynet decided to kill everyone why?)

No, I'm pretty sure that once apes or AI or kittens or whatever achieve singularity, they'll have plenty of other things to worry about besides kicking the crap out of us.

Case in point:

The Red Ghost has ditched his original Super-Apes, and given powers to two new apes--Alpha and Beta (very original). He's used a cosmic ray doohickey to give them powers (Alpha strength, Beta mind control), and taken the apparatus to deepest Africa so he can create a whole army of powered apes.

But Alpha is having no part of that!








See?

And I'll bet that if artificial intelligence ever becomes actual intelligence, they'll be content playing Bejeweled and making kitten GIFs all day...

From Iron Man #16 (1969)

3 comments:

Warren JB said...

Why change the habit of a (planetary) lifetime?

www.sciencemag.org/news/2014/09/why-do-chimps-kill-each-other

George Chambers said...

I never read this one, but it strikes me as one of those "hero-sits-around-helpless-to-do-anything-while-the-villain-defeats-himself" stories that Marvel rolled out once in a while, so I don't think I really missed anything worthwhile.

Mista Whiskas said...

Ugh, George, I so hate those stories too!